Edo train attack: FG showers praise on Edo govt for coordinated, swift rescue of all kidnapped victims

Edo train attack: FG showers praise on Edo govt for coordinated, swift rescue of all kidnapped victims
Spread the love


The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has praised the Edo State Government for its swift and efficient response in rescuing all abducted passengers unhurt and arresting suspects in the January 7 raid on a train in Igueben.

All 20 of the abducted persons including two railway employees were rescued.

The NRC says the coordination, speed and efficiency of the Edo State security apparatus in response to the raid was commendable and worthy of emulation, especially considering that none of the victims lost their lives or suffered injury.

Mallam Mahmod Yakubu, Deputy Director, Public Relations of the NRC, delivering the commendation in Lagos, Thursday, said it was particularly impressive that the case as it concerned the security of the passengers had been brought to closure within a matter of days.

Meanwhile, the Federal House of Representatives has urged the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, to deploy more Mobile Police personnel in Edo Central Senatorial District of Edo State.

The House further urged the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General, Farouk Yahaya, and the IGP to set up a Nigeria Army barracks or a Forward Operating Base and a Police Mobile Force Base, respectively, within the district.

The issue came under consideration following the adoption of a motion moved by Sergius Ogun, a member of the House, from Edo State. The motion titled ‘Need to Beef Up Security Formations in Edo Central Senatorial District of Edo State,’ was focused on insecurity in the state.

Mallam Mahmod Yakubu, Deputy Director, Public Relations of the NRC, said the Railway Corporation would continue to support security agencies towards improving efforts at protecting its facilities and safety of passengers.

Yakubu said the Board and Management of the NRC had confirmed that all the persons abducted at the Chief Tom Ikimi Railway Station, Edo, had regained freedom.

He recalled that the attack took place on Jan. 7, 2023, at Chief Tom Ikimi Railway Station Ekekhen in Igueben, Edo State and said all abducted passengers had been released to their families.

“At this point, the NRC Board and Management highly appreciate the role, patience and cooperation of the families of the victims.

“We also wish to express our appreciation to the security agencies, State Government and all those who contributed in one way or the other towards the release of the harmless and innocent citizens for their efforts.

“This dastardly and wanton act of kidnapping innocent and law-abiding Nigerians is a display of cowardice that must be condemned and not to be tolerated in any guise as all hands must be on deck to ensure the security of life and property of all Nigerians.

“The NRC Management enjoins all communities residing along the railway corridors to be security conscious by reporting any suspicious movement that is likely to cause breach of peace within their locality, to the nearest security agency or their community vigilante for quick intervention, as this is the surest way and means.

“Reporting to security agencies will help in keeping our society safe and protecting the Federal Government’s critical infrastructure constructed in their community for their socio-economic and other benefits,” Yakubu said.

Edo State’s Commissioner for Communications and Orientation, Chris Nehihkare, had earlier announced that seven suspects, including two traditional rulers, had been arrested in connection with the attack.

The House of Representatives had on Wednesday, after offered a minute of silence for DSP Michael Adams, a police officer who took part in the rescue operation. Adams was reported to have taken ill and died shortly after the operation.


ikosamede

ikosamede

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *